Saturday, September 6, 2008

Change is no Joke

Today I went canvassing for Obama in the 3rd ward in Grand Rapids. It was amazing. I knocked on 50 doors and met 14 people. 13 of them said they are definitely voting for Barack Obama. I helped 4 people register to vote.

One person said he usually doesn't vote, even though he is registered. He said he wasn't sure about the issues and really tries to stay out politics

I told him that the reason I am volunteering on a Saturday to talk with people about this election is because I have two kids in the city's public schools, and I am tired of the cuts to public education, school closures, and program cuts. I told him I am tired of high gas prices and bad economy. I said that I think Barack Obama shares our values, and that he helped working-class families like mine when he served as a community organizer in Chicago, as an Illinois state legislator, and as a US Senator to fund public education and to turn the economy around.

The man nodded when I said I think Barack Obama will work hard for working people and our city when he becomes our president. He agreed to let the campaign send him more information about the issues.

I really feel like I helped play a part, maybe a small part, in making some change.

John McCain and Sarah Palin can mock that all they want. But I think it is real and serious and this is what democracy looks and feels like.

1 comment:

redhot said...

You're so right, Joel - every little bit really counts in an election this close. Even speaking with a McCain supporter and treating him or her with respect is a good example of the difference between the beliefs and attitudes of the two campaigns.

I've had some really great conversations talking with undecided voters out there who are just so confused about the issues - partly because McCain's campaign keeps obscuring the truth and using distractions to keep us away from the facts.

It's been such a great experience! Keep on keeping on!